Rice University logo

Departmental Petitions



Instructions on petitioning to waive or substitute for a course requirement:


Petitions should be sent, in writing or by e-mail, to the Chair of the Undergraduate Program Committee of the Department of Physics and Astronomy.   Prof.  Jason Hafner, hafner@rice.edu

For each course for which you request a waiver or substitution, you should provide the following information:

  • The name and course number of the required course for which you are requesting a waiver or substitution.
  • An unofficial copy of your transcript.
  • In the case of a substitution: the name and course number of the proposed substitute course. 
    • If this course is outside the department, include a copy of the syllabus.
    • Explain in your own words how the substitute course meets or exceeds the learning goals of the required course that you are requesting a substitution for.   Your explanation may be supported by other appropriate materials; in particular, you might ask for a brief supporting statement from a faculty member who has recently taught the required or thesubstitute course. 
  • In the case of a waiver:
    • Explain  how you have already met or exceeded the learning goals of the required course concerned.
    • If you are citing other coursework as evidence of this, you should provide the names, course numbers, and grades for each relevant course.





  • P&A Page in General Announcements
  • Rice Catalog
  • Financial Aid
  • Academic Calendar
  • Course Schedules
  • Transfer Credit
  • Advising
  • Honors and Awards in Physics and Astronomy
  • Departmental Petitions
  • Rice Facts
  • Center for Student Professional Development